Jump to navigation Jump to search
The following are related quotes:
- “There is therefore a true science of social mechanics, and as social energy is only a special mode of manifestation of the universal energy, social mechanics is only a kind of mechanics which deals with this form of energy. The fundamental classification of mechanics, as we saw, is into statics and dynamics, and social statics and social dynamics are as legitimate branches of mechanics as are hydrostatics and hydrodynamics, the principles of which are commonly included in text-books of mechanics. In fact, Winiarsky has made a direct application of thermodynamics to social mechanics as essential to its full treatment. I shall deal with social statics and social dynamics in that order, which is the same as that in which mechanics is always treated, the advantage of which is even greater here than in other departments, as will be clearly apparent as we proceed.”
- “The three main representatives of social mechanics are: Antonio Portuondo, Spiru Haret, Alfred Lotka.”
- “In social mechanics, society was seen as an ‘astronomical system’ whose elements were human beings bound together by mutual attraction or differentiated by repulsion; groups of societies or states were systems of balanced oppositions. Man, his groups. and their interrelations constituted an unbroken continuity with the rest of the universe.
- — Walter Buckley (1967), Sociology and Modern Systems Theory (pg. 8) 
- Ward, Lester F. (1907). Pure Sociology: a Treatise on the Origin and Spontaneous Development of Society (thermodynamics, pgs. 97, 168). MacMillan.
- Sorokin, Pitirim. (1928). Contemporary Sociological Theories (pdf) (§1: The Mechanistic School (pdf). Harper & Brothers.
- Buckley, Walter. (1967). Sociology and Modern Systems Theory (continuity, pg. 8). Publisher.
- Sacher, Eduard. (1881). Outlines of a Mechanics of Society, Part I (Grundzüge einer Mechanik der Gesellschaft, Theil I) (GB) (Ѻ) (kinetic energy, pg. 8). Jena: Gustav Fischer.
- Winiarski, Leon. (1900). Essays on Social Mechanics (Essais sur la Mecanique Sociale) (Editor: Giovanni Busino; Translator: Libb Thims) (§Preface, pgs. vii-xxvii). Geneva: Droz, 1967
- Social mechanics – Hmolpedia 2020.