In religio-mythology, Ogdoad (TR:37) (LH:15) (TL:52) is the paut or “group” of eight (8) gods of the supreme god family of Hermopolis, which in 2400BC became the state religion of Egypt, a logic based on the so-called Hermopolis creation myth.
In 2400BC, in Hermopolis, in the Hermopolis creation myth, a seeming recension of the former, Nun, became male and female, with the addition of three other gods, herein forming an 8-god family, aka the Ogdoad god family, the males being frog-headed and the females being snake headed, all generally colored blue, as shown adjacent:
- Nun [Nu] (male) + Naunet [Nut] (female) = Primeval watery abyss (or chaos)
- Huh [Heru] (male) + Hauhet [Hehut] (female) = Space or infinity (or void)
- Kuk [Kekui] (male) + Kauket (female) | Darkness
- Amen [Kerh] (male) + Amenent [Kerhet] or Amaunet (female) = Hiddenness
The latter pairing, to note has alternative either spelling or god couple, depending on period of time cited, originally being the pair: Kerh + Kerhet (Budge, 1904), later being usurped by the god pair Amen + Amenent.
The first pair, Nun and Naunet, were considered the supreme god couple, who came into existence first, as presumably the "monad". Next, Nun and Naunet, representative of chaos, then give birth or engender three male-female god pairs: Huh + Huhet, the god and goddess of space and infinity, Kuk and Kauket, the god and goddess of darkness, and Amen and Amenet, the god and goddess of wind, turbulence, storm waters, and hidden powers:
Here, the gods Huh and Hauhet seem to the closest equivalent to what we now defined as emptiness, vacuum, or void, which is numerically equivalent to the letter "delta" (NE:345), symbol: Δ, as shown above. The Ogdoad, as group, in turn, engendered Atum-Ra, or Atum, who then made Ra the sun, depending on interpretation. The letter "theta" (NE:318), symbol: Θ, is the word cypher for the sun god. Hence, in this general scheme, the sun is born out of the tip of the pyramid, or "318" (theta) is created out of the "345" (delta), which derived from the "8" (Ogdoad), which derives from the "1" (monad).
In 2000BC, at the start of the Middle Kingdom, the Hathor Temple, in Dendera, near Thebes, in the Dendera Temple complex, was built, being continually modified until 54BC, in late Ptolemaic period, at the time of Ptolemy Auletes. In this period, the on the west wall (north side) of the Pronaos of the Temple of Hathor (and Maat), Hathor is shown standing behind the Ogdoad who are shown in human form seated, as shown below:
The 24 letter Greek alphabet, derived in the period 1600 to 900BC, is said to be derived, in a cosmological sense, from the Ogdoad (8), in the form of the number "888", being the numerical sum of the letters of the alphabet, in some way.
In the Greek version (800BC), the gods Huh and Hauhet, or space and infinity, were coded into the word isopsephy number "345", the world "delta", meaning "empty" or "void", and the symbol "Δ", the fourth letter of the Greek alphabet. The key Δ-related god pair here being: Huh and Hauhet, the god and goddess of space, void, or infinity, which the Greeks later coded into their alphabet via the 4th letter Delta (value: 345) meaning "empty" or "void".
The gist of this Egyptian cosmology, below left, is compared with the basic principle of "thermodynamics", or ΘΔcs, as Maxwell (1860s) referred to this new science, below right:
Moreover, Hesiod, in his Theogonia (750BC), replaced Nun (or Nun and Naunet) with the world "chaos" as being the beginning of the Greek pantheon.
In 300BC, the "Nun model" (or Ogdoad model) of beginning, which was then being found described in Egyptian creation myths as follows:
- “Not existed heaven nor earth; they had not been created. I raised them out of Nun from a state of inactivity”
- — Anon (310BC), Nesi-Amsu Papyrus, Egyptian Creation 
Was rescripted as follows:
- “In the beginning, god made heaven and earth out of nothing.”
- “In the beginning, god created heaven and earth.”
- — King James (1600), Bible (Genesis 1.1)
In other words, Nun (or the Ogdoad) was replaced with "out of nothing" (Wycliffe, 1382), and then basically removed completely by the time of the King James Bible redaction.
Shem | 8
The eight gods of the Ogdoad also became rescripted into the character of "Shem", one of the sons of Noah (Nun), whose name means "8" in Hebrew.
- Budge, Wallis. (1904). The Gods of the Egyptians, Volume One (pgs. 282-83). Dover, 1969.
- Dendera Temple complex – Wikipedia.
- Hathor and Ogdoad – Amentet Neferet, WordPress.
- Barry, Kieren. (1999). The Greek Qabalah: Alphabetic Mysticism and Numerology in the Ancient World (pdf) (theos, pg. 74; #284, pg. 227; #318, pg. 228; #345 (void; empty), pg. 229). Weiser.
- Thims, Libb. (2020). Human Chemical Thermodynamics — Chemical Thermodynamics Applied to the Humanities: Meaning, Morality, Purpose; Sociology, Economics, Ecology; History, Philosophy, Government, Anthropology, Politics, Business, Jurisprudence; Religion, Relationships, Warfare, and Love (§2: Alphabet) (pdf). Publisher.
- Phoenix – Hmolpedia 2020.
- How the Bible was written? (subdomain) – Hmolpedia 2020.
- How the Bible was Written? (subdomain) – Hmolpedia 2020.
- Wycliffe, John. (1382). Bible (Genesis 1.1). Publisher.
- Ogdoad – Hmolpedia 2020.