Jump to navigation Jump to search
The following are quotes:
- “The word ‘metabolism’ has come into use in this country as equivalent to the German word ‘stoffwechsel’, which strictly means ‘exchange of material’.”
- — Edward Schafer (1898), Textbook of Physiology, Volume One (pg. 868) 
- “Sooner or later the phenomenon today known as ‘autocatalysis’ would have appeared. In autocatalysis, one of the products of the reaction stimulated by the catalyst is more of the catalyst itself. By such developments, droplets, that started as ‘inert bags of chemicals’, could slowly lead to structures with properties of growth, metabolism, and reproduction at least crudely similar to those exhibited by modern single-celled organisms”.
- “A ‘meta-molecule’ [tentative term] is a molecule whose existence depends on some form of metabolism and or atomic turnover rate.”
- Metabolism – Hmolpedia 2020.