In terms, existence state (LH:3) refers to the various determined (Holbach, 1770) states of existence, of a person, substance, or species, quantified in terms of formation energies (Thims, 2016) or free energies of formation (Lewis, 1914) from the elements at STP.
In 2014, Thims had begun to employ the term "stages of existence", modeled on Goethe's four stages of existence model, defined as the "various states of perceptual existence a person as a bound state atomic entity pass through in their reaction existence".
In 2016, Libb Thims was employing the term "existence state" in various Hmolpedia articles; such as:
- “A section [pictured adjacent] from the original Lewis (1923) free energy of formation of chemical substances table (see: free energy table), showing, e.g., that table salt (NaCl) has a free energy of formation, from the elements, at STP, of -91.8 kJ of free energy (Gibbs energy); the basics of which can be extrapolated up to the human level (see: human free energy of formation), to the effect that, e.g. Bill Gates (see: Gates model), in 2016, has a free energy of formation of so many kJ, a quantification of his "existence state" or "becoming" so to say.”
- — Libb Thims (2016), “Caption box to article: Standard Gibbs free energy of formation”, May 9
In sum, Bill Gates, as a Lewis-conceptualized (1923) chemical species, in his 2016 existence state, had a formation energy , quantified by so many joules of formation energy, associated with the existence state indicated; which differs, presumably, from his current say 2021 (66AE) existence state.
The following are quotes:
- “Man's life is a line that nature commands him to describe upon the surface of the earth, without his ever being able to ‘swerve’ from it, even for an instant. He is born without his own consent; his organization does in nowise depend upon himself; his ideas come to him involuntarily; his habits are in the power of those who cause him to contract them; he is unceasingly modified by causes, whether visible or concealed, over which he has no control, which necessarily regulate his mode of existence, give the hue to his way of thinking, and determine his manner of acting. He is good or bad, happy or miserable, wise or foolish, reasonable or irrational, without his ‘will’ being for any thing in these various states. Nevertheless, in despite of the shackles by which he is bound, it is ‘pretended’ he is a free agent, or that independent of the causes by which he is moved, he determines his own will, and regulates his own condition.”
- “Is life unique in your opinion? That is, are living systems scientifically distinguishable from nonliving systems? given a sealed box containing an object comma how can you tell whether or not the object is living without opening the box question mark what a physical tests could you perform to determine the ‘life state’ of the object in the box?”
- Human free energy table – Hmolpedia 2020.
- Stages of existence – Hmolpedia 2020.
- Free energy table – Hmolpedia 2020.
- Standard Gibbs free energy of formation – Hmolpedia 2020.
- Note: Holbach translated a "whole shelf full" of scientific and philosophical books, including Lucretius' De Rerum Natura (Blum, 2010); the term "swerve" here is code for NO Epicurean swerve, meaning certain atoms do NOT swerve (Epicurus, 300BC) to yield the property of "free will" to humans.
- Pettit, Gordon. (2020). “Baron d’Holbach on Hard Determinism: There is No Free Will” (YT), Gordon Pettit, May 6.
- Balmer, Robert. (2010). Modern Engineering Thermodynamics (pg. 717) Academic Press.