In terms, people refers to a humans making up a group or assembly of linked by a common interest; the mass of a community as distinguished from a special class; a body of persons that are united by a common culture, tradition, or sense of kinship, that typically have common language, institutions, and beliefs, that often constitute a politically organized group.
The following are related quotes:
- “You’ve no notion of how stupid most people are.”
- — Arthur Schopenhauer (c.1830), Dialogue on Religion (voice of Demopheles) (pg. 21)
- “What constitutes a people, a unity, a whole, becomes in the end an agglomeration of individuals lacking cohesion, and artificially held together for a time by its traditions and institutions. It is at this stage that men, divided by their interests and aspirations, and incapable any longer of self-government, require directing in their pettiest acts, and that the state exerts an absorbing influence. With the definite loss of the old ideal of genius, the race entirely disappears, it is a mere swarm of isolated individuals and returns to its original state—that of crowds. Its civilization is not without stability, and at the mercy of every chance.”
- — Gustave le Bons (1895), The Crowd (pg. 239); cited by Newell Sims (1924) in Society and Surplus (pgs. 321-22)
- “Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people.”
- “If Jesus, and Muhammad, and Abraham, and Moses, had never been born, which in any case I tend to doubt, or if all the stories told about them were untruth, as was suddenly found, and everyone had to admit it, some people, I know, would go into a panic, [thinking]: ‘now what will we do, we have no morals suddenly?’ What could be more nonsensical than that?”
- Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary (2000) (CD-version).
- Wiley, John P. (1995). “Phenomena, Comments & Notes: Today’s physics allow outrageous possibilities: faster-than-light travel across the galaxy, or even our learning to make new universes to specification” (WB), Smithsonian Magazine, Dec.
- People are chemicals (subdomain) – Hmolpedia 2020.
- People – Wikipedia.