In existographies, Libb Thims (17- AE) (HFET:29) (RMS:109) (EPD:M12) (FA:221) (PL:1,400) (CR:2,096) (LH:25) (TC:2,121) is an American electrochemical engineer, chemical thermodynamicists, philosopher, and atheologist, noted for his work on the development of the new science of human chemical thermodynamics (HCT), a term coined by Thims in 2007, the chemical thermodynamic study of humans.
In 1995, Thims, discerned the view that defines and quantifies "spontaneity" in the physico-chemical world, namely the "reaction energy" (Haber, 1905), as observed in striking a match, is what defines and quantifies "spontaneity" in the human world, the paramount example being in love at first sight. The four tier reaction diagram, below, outlines the basic synopsis this logic, namely that humans are powered atomic geometries, "metamorphosized" chemicals (Goethe, 1809), or "transformed" hydrogen atoms (Wiley, 1995) whose reaction steps are governed, or "determined", by thermodynamic potentials, namely by the derivatives of the slopes of Gibbs energies, plotted on either two-dimensional coordinate diagrams and or three-dimensional energy landscapes, this pioneering graphical view advanced, in the social sphere, by those including: Mirza Beg (1987), Adriaan Lange (1987), and David Hwang (2001).
In Apr 2020, Thims devised a Torricelli-style "bus barometer" thought experiment to measure "social pressure", wherein a socially-affined "mercury-like" group of people are put into a double-decker bus, then driven into and out of variously-sized cities, from which the "reading" of the size of the "social vacuum" (void or unoccupied space) at the top back of the bus, yields a measure of the pressure of any given city or social system. The need for "instrumentation", in HCT, for the last century, has been one of the most pressing of needs.
- Thims, Libb. (2020). Human Chemical Thermodynamics — Chemical Thermodynamics Applied to the Humanities: Meaning, Morality, Purpose; Sociology, Economics; History, Philosophy, Government, Anthropology, Politics, Business, Jurisprudence; Religion, Relationships, Warfare, and Love (pdf). Publisher.
- Thims, Libb. (2020). “A Theoretical Torricelli Social Barometer to Measure Social Pressure” (abs) (pdf) (ppt) (YT), Talk at International Conference on Thermodynamics 2.0, Virtual, Session: T08, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Jun 22.
- Human thermodynamic instrument – Hmolpedia 2020.
- See main: Libb Thims (publications)
- Thims, Libb. (2007). Human Chemistry, Volume One. LuLu.
- Thims, Libb. (2007). Human Chemistry, Volume Two. LuLu.
- Thims, Libb. (2008). The Human Molecule (GB) (Amz) (Iss). LuLu.